Poker hands are made by using the best five card combination possible.
The ranking of poker hands from best to worst:
- Royal Flush: Ace, King, Queen, Jack, Ten all of the same suit.
- Straight Flush: Any five card sequence in the same suit (Ex: 8, 7, 6, 5, 4)
- Four of a Kind: All four cards of the same index (Ex: Q, Q, Q, Q, 10)
- Full House: Three of a kind combined with a pair (Ex: 3, 3, 3, K, K)
- Flush: Any five cards of the same suit, but not in sequence (Ex: A, J, 9, 6, 2)
- Straight: Five cards in sequence, but not in the same suit (Ex: K, Q, J, 10, 9)
- Three of a kind: Three cards of the same index (Ex: 8, 8, 8, J, 5)
- Two Pair: Two separate pairs (Ex: Q, Q, 7, 7, A)
- Pair: Two cards of the same index (Ex: J, J, 10, 6, 2)
- High Card: (Ex: 7, 5, 4, 3, 2)
Note: In the case of a tie, the winning poker hand would be determined as follows.
Example: Two players have two pair
Player 1: (A, A, 8, 8, Q)
Player 2: (A, A, 8, 8, J)
Player 1 wins with the Queen out kicking the Jack.